The Apostle’s Greetings, Pt. 1
DEEP SHEET: Sermon Study Questions
1. Why are we tempted to fly over passages like this? In the words of Chrysostom, how have you discovered “treasure” in these sorts of texts?
2. In what ways was Christianity countercultural in its appreciation and elevation of women? How is this reflected in these greetings?
3. How is Phoebe described? Should we view her as a deacon/deaconess?
4. What was the history between Paul and Prisca and Aquila? Why is this couple in Rome, and how does Paul’s mention of them help to draw support for his ministry/mission?
5. What does this list of names tell us about the Christian life? Why should it raise our affections for God’s people?
References: Acts 18:27; Philippians 1:1; 1 Timothy 3:8-13; Acts 6:3; 1 Timothy 2:12; 3:11; Acts 18:24-26; Romans 15:14; Acts 18:1