God’s Glory at the Sea, Part 1
Sermon 32 in Series
DEEP SHEET: Sermon Study Questions
1. How does the lead up to the Red Sea crossing focus our attention on God’s glory? What impact should this have on our reading of this famous story?
2. How does this passage encourage us to trust God when life doesn’t seem to make sense? How has God brought you through the unexpected?
3. Why does Pharaoh pursue the Israelites? How does his change of heart demonstrate the tenacity and folly of sin?
4. Why does God place his people in a seemingly impossible and entirely vulnerable situation? What are the three responses of the Israelites when they see the Egyptians pursuing them?
5. How are the three responses reversed by Moses’ three-fold call? How do we avoid a knee-jerk reaction of fear in the face of difficulty and distress?
6. How can we fall into merely living for our own wellbeing (cf. 14:12b)? What does the content of your prayers reveal about your pursuits?
References: 2 Corinthians 4:6; Ephesians 2:1-10; Matthew 6:32-33; Genesis 15:1.